Tulum vs. Cancun: Which is Right for You?
The Riviera Maya is one of Mexico’s most sought-after vacation destinations, home to the bustling beach towns of Tulum and Cancun. Both cities offer very different experiences for travelers, so deciding which is suitable for you depends on your personal preferences. Cancun appeals to vacationers looking for an energetic resort setting, while Tulum appeals to the more laid-back traveler who wants to stay closer to nature.
We are here to give you a breakdown of Tulum vs. Cancun so that you can find the right destination for you! Regardless of your choice, Riviera Maya Haciendas has you covered with our luxury vacation rentals in both locations.
The Basics Tulum vs. Cancun
Deciding between Tulum vs. Cancun all depends on you! Both locations offer stunning white-sand beaches, sparkling water, and easy access to Mayan ruins. And if you want to experience both of these incredible destinations, they are only 80 miles apart!
What is Cancun Like for Visitors?
- Beaches are picturesque but are usually busy.
- Cancun has a more extensive selection of chain hotels and restaurants, known as the Hotel Zone.
- As one of Mexico’s most popular spring break and party destinations, it should be no surprise that Cancun is bustling with nightlife, clubs, and bars.
- As the most visited city in Mexico, the entire town is very tourist oriented
- Cancun is easily accessible, with flights from most major cities to the Cancun Airport.
- If you are looking for a destination where you can walk to most attractions, then Cancun is for you!
Notable Attractions & Activities in Cancun
There are endless possibilities for your Cancun vacation. Playa Delfines is the largest beach in the city and the only stretch that doesn’t backdrop the Hotel Zone. The main boulevard at Avenida Kukulkan is the hub for resorts, shopping malls, and restaurants. Discover an underwater adventure of a lifetime at MUSA Underwater Museum or learn about Mayan history at the Mayan Museum of Cancun or El Rey Maya Ruins.
What is Tulum Like for Visitors?
- Tulum is known for offering quieter and less developed beaches
- The city is known for its boutique hotels and restaurants
- Tulum offers a more authentic experience of Mexico, away from the tourist attractions of Cancun.
- Tulum is a paradise for nature lovers, with cenotes, jungles, abundant wildlife, and biodiversity.
Notable Attractions in Tulum
The most popular attraction is the Tulum Archaeological Site, known as one of the last cities inhabited by the Maya people. Tulum is also known for its cenotes, popular spots for swimming, scuba diving, and snorkeling. You can also find access to Xcaret adventure parks and wildlife preserves here.
Tulum & Cancun Vacation Rentals
Now that you know more about Tulum vs. Cancun, you can start planning your Mexico vacation with Riviera Maya Haciendas. We offer three beautiful six-bedroom villas in Cancun and 30 vacation rentals in Tulum. Our Tulum properties range from one to fourteen bedrooms to accommodate groups of all sizes. Discover the perfect home base for any vacation along the Riviera Maya with us today!